Alassio is thought to have been founded in the 10th Century, in the area of “St Anna ai Monti Church” where a family nucleus first resided, then subsequent members moved in the hilly area of “Madonna delle Grazie” which is still known with the name “Caste’”. Here one of the first Heraldic symbols of the town is still visible.
Control of the town was eventually taken by the monks from the island of Gallinara and later by the commune of Albenga. In 1521 a series of defensive walls was built to defend the town from Barbary pirate raids. It was subsequently a possession of the Republic of Genoa and, from the early 19th century onwards, of the Kingdom of Sardinia. It became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861.
Alassio became a tourist resort in the late 19th century, thanks to the presence of English tourists.